Enforcement refers to the measures of government by which Acts are applied and put into practice. The ministry responsible for the drafting of the Act usually prepares an implementation plan during the principal preparation step in cooperation with the authorities responsible for implementation. Such authorities may include the agencies under the ministries, regional and local government, and the courts.
Factors which promote successful enforcement from the viewpoint of the authorities responsible for implementation include:
- sufficient human resources, expertise, tools and other required resources,
- effective and efficient cooperation with other authorities tasked with the same duties,
- support and guidance from higher authorities without excessive interference in details or matters within the scope of competence of lower authorities, and
- consultation during drafting of stakeholders affected by the legislation.
Tools available to the ministry responsible for drafting to support enforcement include the following:
- decrees and regulations,
- guidelines and recommendations,
- communication and media relations,
- training and counselling, and
- incentives such as recognitions or rewards for good performance.